Mobile styles on

Posted: 15 December 2013

Family fortunes improve with Shared Ownership at Dakota House

One delighted buyer at Family Mosaic’s Dakota House scheme in Croydon is living up to the developer’s name, if not to the archetype of a first-time buyer: Ben Anawachagul has purchased a two-bedroom flat with his mother. Ben, 20, and Sue Anawachagul have taken advantage of Family Mosaic’s Shared Ownership initiative to buy a 25% share of the £169,000 flat, taking out a mortgage for £42,250 and paying rent on the remaining 75% value with the option of buying it over several years.

‘This is great for both of us, so I’m doing this with and for my mum,’ Ben says. ‘In a couple of years I hope to take out a full mortgage and buy a place with my girlfriend, but having been in my job a short while it would be too much for me at the moment. Shared Ownership is the perfect solution for us.’

Ben and Sue previously lived in Bournemouth and have been renting in Croydon for the past six years. ‘When we both got jobs locally’ – Ben as a Police Community Support Officer with the Metropolitan Police and Sue with the Home Office – ‘we decided the time was right to take on a mortgage.

‘We looked at other developments, but they were overpriced and too small. Then we found Dakota House on the internet, and the timing was perfect. We now have a beautiful flat with great views and a very good quality finish. We absolutely love it. And the buying process was a really good experience – just six weeks from viewing the flat to moving in.’

The Anawachaguls’ apartment features an open-plan kitchen/living room and a private terrace. Its fixtures include a Zanussi free-standing fridge/freezer, a washer/dryer, and Electrolux oven, hob and extractor. Bathrooms feature wall-mounted thermostatic shower mixers and Myson heated towel rails.

All of the properties at Dakota House have now sold, however, Family Mosaic have more available properties listed in our Property Search section.